- Prison and Jail Inmates at Midyear 2001, Bureau of Justice Statistics. Wisconsin is #1 in black incarceration.
- American Society of Criminology Draft of National Policy White Paper “The Use of Incarceration in the United States” November 2000. National Policy Committee: James Austin, Marino A. Bruce, Leo Carroll, Patricia L. McCall, Stephen C. Richards. Comments are requested by the authors. Direct comments to James Austin
- “Justice on Trial: Racial Disparities in the American Criminal Justice System.” Leadership Conference on Civil Rights. A comprehensive review of racial profiling, prosecution and sentencing disparities, with recommendations.
- Report on Minorities in the Juvenile Justice System from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- “And Justice for Some” report on racial disparities in juvenile justice.
Reports on reducing Juvenile Disproportionate Minority Confinement/Confact
- OJJDP’s DMC Technical Assistance Manual Must-reading for DMC committee members. On-line file. [NOTE: On-line version lacks crucial technical appendix. If someone can send me a copy, I can try to scan it in a post it.]
- Report from Annie Casey Foundation on reducing racial disparities in juvenile detention (PDF file) Another report DMC members should read.
- The Sentencing Project’s Manual on reducing racial disparities in the adult system(PDF file)
Links on Juvenile DMC
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- OJJDP’s DMC Technical Assistance Manual Must-reading for DMC committee members. On-line file.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) is a repository and index for a great many publications; it has a search engine.
- Annnie Casey Foundation
- Juvenile Detention Initiative Lists reports that can be downloaded about successful initiatives
- Report on reducing racial disparities in juvenile detention (PDF file)
- Special journal issue on juvenile justice, with several articles
- Dane County Juvenile Court 2002 Annual Report (PDF file)
- Office of Justice Assistance State support for DMC initiative, as well as many other programs.