Getting Through Graduate School
- Sociology Graduate Program
- “Over the Hoops and Through the Hurdles”
Negotiating the official and hidden curriculum in graduate school.
- List of things to do in the first and subsequent years of graduate school which integrates the formal and informal curriculum. An old list but still potentially useful.
- Advice for new professors. This has evolved from a conversation over lunch, then an email, to our departing students.
- Grad Skool Rulz: Written by Fabio Rojas in a series of blogs. I don’t agree with every detail, but overall well worth looking at and thinking about. (the archive is newest to oldest; start at the bottom and work up)
Campus & Other Resources
- New and Current UW Grad Students
- Graduate School Admissions
- Writing Center – Help with writing. Many of our best students have scheduled themselves with weekly writing center appointments to keep moving forward on their writing projects.
- UW Online Directory
- Academic Misconduct Rules and Procedures Student Page
- Academic Misconduct Instructor Page
- Madison Community Cooperative: low cost accommodations
- “At Cross Purposes” by Chris M. Golde. About graduate education.
- International Sociological Association
- American Sociological Association
- ASA Political Sociology Section
- ASA Collective Behavior and Social Movements Section
- ASA Data on the discipline such as race, ethnic mixes, jobs taken, etc.
- Sociologists for Women in Society
- American Academy of Political and Social Science
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- North Central Sociological Society and its journal Sociological Focus
- Society for the Study of Social Problems (SSSP)
- American Journal of Sociology Online edition (has access control; accessible from UW accounts)
- Social Problems journal of the Society for the Study of Social Problems (SSSP)
- Social Forces
- Social Science Research
- Sociological Quarterly
- Sociological Research On-Line
- Sociological Forum
- Sociological Focus