CV, Professional Affiliations and Activities
- cv (reverse chronological order)
- cv (publications by research area)
- brief bio [PDF], [html]
Affiliations and Activities
- Professor of Public Affairs and Economics, LaFollette School of Public Affairs and Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2003-present.
- Associate Director, LaFollette School of Public Affairs, University of Wisconsin, Madison, July 2007-June 2009; July 2013-December 2013.
- Asst. Prof., Assoc. Prof., and Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1991-2005 (on leave, 2002-2005).
- Senior Economist for International Finance, President's Council of Economic Advisers, 2000-2001.
- Visiting Fellow, Macroeconomic Analysis Division, CBO, 6-7/2005.
- Visiting Scholar, International Finance Division, Federal Reserve Board , 1994, 1998, 2001, 2006.
- Visiting Scholar, Research Department, IMF , 1995-2002, 2006, 2007, 2011; Consultant on World Economic Outlook, 2007; 2009.
- Wim Duisenberg Fellow, DG Research, European Central Bank, 7-8/2016.
- Visiting Scholar, DG International and European Relations, European Central Bank, 5/2007.
- Consultant, International Macroeconomics Division, Banque de France, 11/2012, 5/2013, 11/2013, 6/2014, 11/2016.
- Member, Panel of Economic Advisers, CBO, 2011-12.
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research International Finance and Macroeconomics Program , 2002-present; FRF, 1996-2002. National Fellow, 2002-03. co-organizer, IFM spring meetings, 2005-2008.
- Co-editor, Journal of International Money and Finance, September 2012-present.
- Associate Editor: JMCB (2003- ); Review of International Economics (2004-2008); Journal of International Economics (1996-2002).
- Editorial Board: Open Economies Review; Journal of International Economics and Economic Policy (2003-)
- Senior Fellow, UW Center for World Affairs and the Global Economy (WAGE), 2005-2008.
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Jackson Hole symposium on “Fostering a Dynamic Global Economy,” August 24-26, 2017; IMF-IBRN Joint Conference "The Transmission of Macroprudential and Monetary Policies Across Borders,” April 19, 2017, Washington, D.C.;
UW Department of Political Science conference “Europe in Crisis: The Future of EU and Transatlantic Relations,” April 7, 2017, Madison, WI;
Istituto Affari Internazionale Conference “Major Challenges for Global Macroeconomic Stability: The Role of the G7,” Rome, 27-28 March 2017.
Wim Duisenberg Fellow, European Central Bank (July-August 2016); IMF-Swiss National Bank High Level Conference “Towards a System of Multiple Reserve Currencies,” Zurich, May 10 2016; ACAES panel “Can the Chinese Renminbi Rule?” Allied Social Sciences Association meetings, San Francisco, January 4, 2016.
Central-German Doctoral Program Economics, Leipzig University, Leipzig (December 2015); San Francisco Fed "Asia Economic Policy Conference," (November); Graduate Institute Geneva/Swiss "Exchange Rate Policy: Limits to Flexibility, Capital Controls and Reserve Management," Geneva (October); Center for Central Bank Studies/Bank of England (October); Bank of England (October 2015); UCSC-SCU "West Coast International Finance Workshop," (October); SNB-BIS-Dallas Fed-CEPR-JIMF conference "Inflation spillovers of conventional and unconventional monetary: the role of real and financial linkages," Zurich (July);
Banque de France-Sciences Po workshop "Recent developments in exchange rates," Paris (June); ECB seminar, Frankfurt (May); Trinity College Dublin (October 2014); Keynote, University of Leipzig and University of Duisberg Essen conference “Exchange Rates, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability in Emerging Markets and Developing Countries,” Leipzig, October 13-14; Sixteenth NBER-CCER Conference on China and the World Economy, Beijing, June 25-28, 2014; Keynote speech, 2014 Columbia-Tsinghua Conference in International Economics “Capital Flows and International Financial System Reforms,” Beijing, scheduled June 23-25; Norges Bank conference “Of the Uses of Central Banks: Lessons from History,”, Oslo (June); Visiting Scholar, Bank of France (May).
- "US on 'Collision Course with EU," Here and Now, March 9, 2018. [link]
- "Book Talk on Lost Decades," C-SPAN, December 20, 2015. [link]
- Contributor to "The Big Bang Theory: Is the U.S. economy really about to go boom?" Politico Magazine, January 2, 2014 (with Jeffry Frieden). [link]
- "American Debt, Chinese Anxiety," International NY Times, 20 October 2013, [link]
- "Rethinking How We Teach Economics: The Role of Reality in Prices," Room for Debate, NY Times, 1 April 2012, [link]
- Op-Ed, with Jeffry Frieden, "How to Save the Global Economy: Whip Up Inflation. Now," Foreign Policy (December/January 2012). [link]
- Op-Ed, with Jeffry Frieden, "The Downgrading of a Debtor Nation," New York Times (Aug. 9, 2011). [link]
- Cited in Noah Smith, “Growth Fantasy of Tax Cuts and Small Government,” Bloomberg View (July 17, 2015). [link]
- Cited in Simon Kennedy, "Fed History Shows Punch Bowl Goes as Jobs Rise: Cutting Research," Bloomberg, May 23, 2013. [link]
- Cited in Gene Marks, "This Week in Small Business: For the Win!" You're the Boss blog NY Times, (January 9, 2012). [link]
- Cited in Stephen Gandel, "Why Economists are Rooting for Inflation," Time (January 10, 2012). [link]
- Cited in Matthew Yglesias, "Conditional Inflation Now," Slate (January 3, 2012). [link]
- Ben Casselman, "Export Boom Threatened By International Turmoil," Wall Street Journal (Nov. 11, 2011). [link]
- 'In the Finance: "Financial stability in emerging economies: the management of global liquidity," International Symposium,' China Economic Net (Oct 31, 2011). [link], in English.
- Quote in Jim Tankersley and Max Ehrenfreund, "Wonkblog: The interesting thing that happened when Kansas cut taxes and California hiked them," Washington Post, June 17, 2016. [link]
- Quote in Jason Stein, “Scott Walker calls on Obama to cancel Chinese president's visit,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, August 24, 2015.[link]
- Quote in Steven Elbow, "How big a factor is the unemployment rate in determining the health of Wisconsin's economy?" Capital Times May 7, 2015. [link]
- Quote in John Schmid and Kevin Crowe, "Wisconsin job creation rank falls to 38th in U.S.," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel March 19, 2015. [link]
- Quote in W. Gardner Selby, “Rick Perry, in Iowa, says unemployment rate has 'been massaged, it’s been doctored',” PolitiFact Texas/Austin American Statesman, January 26, 2015. [link]
- Quote in Michael Hiltzik, "Surprise! 'Pro-business' policies hurt state economic growth," LA Times, May 6, 2014. [link]
- Quote in Michael Hiltzik, "Once again: Yes, the stimulus worked," LA Times, February 28, 2014. [link]
- Quote in Dunstan Prial, "Inflation Replacing Unemployment as Fed Barometer," FoxBusiness (January 17, 2014) [link]
- Quote in Jacob Aron, "US government shutdown: Doing away with the dollar," New Scientist (October 15, 2013). [link].
- Quote in Binyamin Appelbaum, "Divining the Regulatory Goals of Fed Rivals," New York Times (August 14, 2013). [link]
- Quote in Jason Lange, "Analysis: Economy would dodge bullet for now under fiscal deal," Reuters (January 1, 2013). [link]
- Quote in Wang Xiaotian, "Inflation is likely to remain high," ChinaDaily.com.cn (Oct. 22, 2011). [link]
- Quote in Associated Press, "Economists show support for Obama’s $447 billion jobs plan," (Sep. 9, 2011). [link]
- Quote in David Berman, "Economists score Obama's jobs bill," Globe and Mail (Sep. 9, 2011). [link]
- Quote in Judy Newman, "Madison economists say market plunge not a sign of double-dip recession," Madison.com (Aug. 8, 2011). [link]
- Citation in Catherine Rampell, "Second Recession in U.S. Could Be Worse Than First," New York Times (Aug. 7, 2011). [link]
- Quote in Peter Coy, "The US Economy Feels the Pull of Gravity," Bloomberg/BusinessWeek (Aug. 3, 2011). [link]
- Quote in Michael Crittenden, "Gold Gains Luster As Issue For Politicians Amid Economic Unrest," Dow Jones Newswires (July 1, 2011). [link]
- Quote in Nick Carey and James B. Kelleher, "Special report: Does corporate America kowtow to China?" Reuters, April 27, 2011. [link]
- Quote in "Republican economics: The rise of the anti-Keynesians -- Paul Ryan's intellectual hinterland," The Economist , April 14, 2011. [link]
- Quote in Michael Crittenden, "The Case for the Dollar's Continued Dominance," Wall Street Journal, March 2, 2011. [link]
- Quote in Joe Taschler, "Companies try to find right inflation balance," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, February 19, 2011. [link]
- Quote in Don Walker, "Federal stimulus: Feingold, Johnson disagree about bill's effects," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, October 3, 2010. [link]
- Quote in Emily Kaiser, "For U.S., yuan talk is good, action is better," Reuters, June 19, 2010. [link]
- Quote in Diana Marrero, "Senate job bill gives employers tax credits for new workers," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Feb. 21, 2010. [link]
- Quote in Colin Barr, "The euro's Greek tragedy," Fortune, February 19, 2010. [link]
- Quote in Mark Gongloff, "Facing Facts on the 'Jobless'," Wall Street Journal, November 6, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Diana Marrero, "U.S. economy grows, with help from consumer spending," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, October 29, 2009. [link]
- Quote in David J. Lynch, "G-20 takes first steps to change," USA Today, September 27, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Annys Shin, "Perkier Economy Pushes Dollar Back Down the Slide," Washington Post, Sept. 10, 2009. [link]
- Quote in "Bernanke warns about financial stability; opens debate on inflation and rates," MercoPress: South Atlantic News Agency, June 4, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Barrie McKenna, "Bernanke raises alarm on spending," Globe and Mail, June 24, 2009. [link]
- Quote in David J. Lynch, "U.S. may face years of sluggish economic growth," USA Today, May 7, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Dennis Cauchon, "Ingenuity saves city, state jobs as budgets shrink," USA Today, April 14, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Peter Grier, "10 ways the new economy will look different," Christian Science Monitor, April 10, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Robert Mentzer, "No crystal ball: What if there were no bailouts, big spending?," Wasau Daily Herald, March 15, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Renee Schoof, "Stimulus expected to add jobs to update energy system," McClatchy Newspapers, February 16, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Diego Ayala y Roberto Jiménez, "Estados Unidos aplica su propio Fobaproa," Excelsior online 11 February 2009 [link]
- Quote in Thomas Edsall,"The $800 Billion Gamble: Economists Say Stimulus Cuts Could Be "Disastrous"," Huffington Post, February 9, 2009. [link]
- Quote in Jason Stein,"Economic uncertainty plagued Wisconsin in 2008," Wisconsin State Journal, December 21, 2008. [link]
- Quote in Alister Bull,"Obama's "New Deal" will give growth crucial boost," Reuters, December 11, 2008. [link]
- Quote in Colin Barr,"Why it's stimulus time again," Fortune, October 14, 2008. [link]
- Quote in Steve Hamm, "The New Age of Frugality," Business week, October 9, 2008. [link]
- Quote in Rich Miller, "Bernanke's Inflation Cure Wanes as Import Costs Rise," Bloomberg (June 23, 2008). [link]
- Quote in Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa "High commodity prices keep world afloat in US recession," Earth Times, April 9, 2008. [link].
- Quote in Paul Gores and Joel Dresang, "Rebate dreams taking shape: Taxpayers eagerly making plans for stimulus checks," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Feb. 10, 2008. [link]
- Quote in Michael R. Sesit, "Even a weakened dollar still rules," International Herald Tribune, Nov. 12, 1007. [link]
- Quote in Greg Burns, "Dollar bounces back, but economists say slide will resume," Chicago Tribune, August 26, 2007. [link]
- Quote in Krissah Williams, "Another Shot in Currency Fight: Chinese Threaten Divestment," Washington Post, August 9, 2007. [link]
- Quote in David McMahon, "Productivity slowdown at heart of weak dollar," Reuters, May 29, 2007. [link]
- Quote in Peter Coy, "Some Gain from the Dollar's Pain," Business Week, May 7, 2007. [link]
- Quote in Deborah Solomon, "Guns and Butter: How War's Expense Didn't Strain Economy," Wall Street Journal, February 5, 2007. [pdf]
- Econoblog on “Dollars, Debt and the Trade Gap, Thoughts on the Dropping Dollar,” Wall Street Journal, December 19, 2006.
- "Fare affari in Cina," UniNews, settimanale del Gruppo UniCredito Italiano, 8 June 2004.[link]
- Lee Hudson Teslik, “Q&A: Two Deficits, Fed Turnover,” NYTimes.online, February 1, 2006.
[link] Cites Council on Foreign Relations report, Getting Serious about the Twin Deficits.
- "Emerging market currencies: Reserve judgment," Economist, August 29, 2013. [link]
- “Economics Focus: Learning to like inflation -- Higher inflation could help to rebalance China’s economy,” Economist, February 17, 2011.
[link] Discussion of Chinn and Wei, “A 'Faith-based' initiative.”
- “Economics Focus: Burger-thy-neighbour policies - Attacks on China's Cheap Currencies Are Overdone,” Economist, February 5, 2009.
[link] Discussion of Cheung, Chinn and Fujii, “China's Current Account and Exchange Rate.”
- Daniel Kruger, "Euro Reserves May Top Dollar by 2015, Economists Say," Bloomberg, April 8, 2008. [link] Discussion of Chinn and Frankel, "The Euro May Over the Next 15 Years Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Currency?
- Richard Wachman, "Dollar Chilled by Rise of Euro," The Guardian/The Observer, March 30, 2008. [link] Discussion of Chinn and Frankel, "The Euro May Over the Next 15 Years Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Currency?
- Wolfgang Muenchau, "This crisis could bring the euro centre-stage," Financial Times, March 24, 2008. [link] Discussion of Chinn and Frankel, "The Euro May Over the Next 15 Years Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Currency?
- Daniel Dombey, "The dwindling dollar may be America's next security threat," FT, Dec 28, 2007.
[link] Discussion of Chinn and Frankel, “Will the euro surpass the dollar?”
- Peter Grier, "Dollar slips, euro gains credibility as viable rival," Christian Science Monitor, December 4, 2007. [link] Cites Chinn and Frankel, “Will the euro surpass the dollar?”
- "World's premier currency is battered, but not yet out," Economic Times (India), Nov. 10, 2007. [link] Cites Chinn and Frankel, “Will the euro surpass the dollar?”
- "Special Report: China and US Trade: Lost in Translation," Economist, May 17, 2007.
[link] Discussion of Cheung, Chinn and Fujii, “The overvaluation of RMB undervaluation.”
- “Economics Focus: Marking the dealer's cards,” Economist, November 24, 2005.
[link] Discussion of Cheung, Chinn and Garcia Pascual, “Empirical exchange rate models of the Nineties.”
- “Economics Focus: Currency competition,” Economist, September 29, 2005.
[link] Discussion of Chinn and Frankel, “Will the euro surpass the dollar?”
- Alan Beattie, “Inside Track: Spreading the Risk,” Financial Times, February 4, 2003. [link]
Discussion of Forbes and Chinn, “A Decomposition of Global Linkages in Financial Markets over Time.”
- On the Brexit, “In Our Backyard,” WORT-FM, June 22, 2016. (AUDIO) [link to archives]
- Jim Zarolli, "Wisconsin's Rebound: Less Impressive Than It Seems?" (AUDIO) NPR, July 13, 2015 [link]
- "UW economist warns of uncertainty at edge of default (AUDIO)," Wisconsin Radio Network, October 15, 2013 [link]
- Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg On the Economy” hosted by Michael McKee and Sara Eisen, August 23, 2011. [link]
- WHYY's "Radio Times," hosted by Marty Moss Coane, August 12, 2011. [link]
- Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg On the Economy” hosted by Michael McKee and Sara Eisen, April 7, 2011.
- Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midmorning with Kerri Miller,” September 16, 2010. [link]
- Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midday with Gary Eichten,” April 2, 2009. [link]
- NPR/WBUR's "On Point," February 17, 2009. [link]
- Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midmorning with Kerri Miller,” November 25, 2008. [link]
- Wisconsin Public Radio’s “Conversations with Joy Cardin,” October 28, 2008. [audio link, Real Player]
- Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midmorning with Kerri Miller,” September 22, 2008. [link]
- Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midmorning with Kerri Miller,” January 8, 2007. [link]
- Wisconsin Radio Network, March 27, 2006. [link]
- Katy Vaughn, "Economics blogger shows the relevance of research in real time," UW College of Letters and Science News, Sep. 2, 2016. [link]
- Lisa Foderero, "Colleges Turn the Economic Crisis Into a Lesson Plan," New York Times, Dec. 11, 2009. [link]
- Mike Ivey, "Kudos for UW-Madison blogger," Capital Times, December 5, 2009. [link]
- Stacy Forster, "Economist takes on global debt crisis in classroom, book, blog," Wisconsin Week, Oct. 29, 2009 [link]
UW Madison Menzie David Chinn - 20 March 2018