Welcome! I am a Ph.D. candidate in economics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I study applied microeconomics with a focus on education and crime.
What I do
My current research examines
- College advertising and its effect on students’ enrollment choices
- Universal pre-K‘s impact on mothers’ labor supply decisions
- How changes to financial aid offers affect the college enrollment choices of low-income students
- How regulations and prices interact in the market for firearms.
For more of my work, check out my Research page.
I am honored to be a 2021-2022 recipient of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Dissertation Grant, funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Ph.D. Candidate in Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison (Expected 2023)
- M.S., Economics, UW-Madison (2020)
- M.A., Economics & Education, Columbia University (2017)
- B.A., Economics & Spanish, magna cum laude (2011)
Get in touch!
marifian [at] wisc [dot] edu