Deadline: Monday, May 1st, 2017
Mission: The Minority Recruitment and Retention Committee (MRRC) is a committee of graduate students, faculty, and staff in the Department of Sociology and the Department of Community and Environmental Sociology at UW-Madison. We work to recruit and retain students and faculty of color, to monitor and improve racial climate in the Sociology Department, and to seek out resources for students of color.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
- Be enrolled in UW-Madison’s Sociology and Community and Environmental Sociology graduate program
- Commitment to addressing interpersonal, institutional, and structural racism
- Commitment of time toward the mission of the MRRC, specifically
- Serve on the MRRC for at least two consecutive semesters
- Regular attendance at full committee meetings (about 7 meetings per semester)
- Regular attendance at separate student task meetings (as needed)
- Ability to meet established deadlines
- Willingness to spearhead subcommittee tasks and to support other subcommittee efforts where needed
- Willingness to take on and complete tasks outside of meeting times
Desired but not required: Experience in a committee setting, ideally working for issues related to diversity, racial justice, and solidarity
- Applicants complete New Student Application by the deadline
- The MRRC Student Chair contacts by email all applicants within two weeks to either (1) schedule an interview with other student committee members, or (2) notify students that they have not been selected for the committee
- The MRRC Student Chair notifies by email all interviewed applicants of selection decisions within two weeks
Please note the following:
We aim to create a committee that is diverse in terms of perspectives, lived experience, skills and experiences, and years in the program. These will vary from year to year, in order to meet current department needs and committee initiatives
PLEASE ANSWER THE (3) APPLICATION QUESTIONS and submit the form. Each answer should be no more than 250 words.
Please contact MRRC’s student co-chairs, Chloe Haimson (email@example.com) or Jamie Hawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org), with questions or for more information.