Broton, Katharine M. and Sara Goldrick-Rab. “Going Without: An Exploration of Food and Housing Insecurity among Undergraduates.” Forthcoming at Educational Researcher.
Broton, Katharine M., Sara Goldrick-Rab and James Benson. (2016). “Working for Tuition: The Causal Impacts of Financial Grants on Undergraduate Employment.” Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 38(3):477-494. doi: 10.3102/0162373716638440.
- Palmer O. Johnson Memorial Award for outstanding article in an AERA-sponsored publication in 2016.
Broton, Katharine and Sara Goldrick-Rab. (2016). “The Dark Side of College (Un)Affordability: Food and Housing Insecurity in Higher Education.” Feature article in Change, 48(1), 16-25. doi: 10.1080/00091383.2016.1121081.
- Published in Miller, M. (Ed.) 2017. College Teaching and Learning for Change: Students and Faculty Speak Out. New York, NY: Routledge.
Broton, Katharine. “Rethinking the Cooling Out Hypothesis: The Impact of Need-based Financial Aid on Students’ Educational Goals.” Revise and Resubmit.
Broton, Katharine and Sara Goldrick-Rab. “Safety, Security, and College Attainment: An Investigation of Undergraduates’ Basic Needs and Institutional Response.” Manuscript in preparation.
- Media Coverage by MSNBC, “The Hunger Crisis in American Universities,” 8/18/2014 and The Capital Times, “HOPE Lab: Colleges lack systems to assist low-income students with housing, food,” 11/10/2014.
Broton, Katharine and Minhtuyen Mai. “Hunger in Higher Education.” Manuscript in preparation.
Policy and Practitioner Publications
Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Katharine Broton, and Daphne Hernandez. 2017. “Addressing
Basic Needs Security in Higher Education: An Introduction to Three Evaluations of Supports for Food and Housing at Community Colleges.” Wisconsin HOPE Lab.
Sackett, Chase, Sara Goldrick-Rab, and Katharine Broton. September 2016. “Addressing Housing Insecurity and Living Costs in Higher Education: A Guidebook for Colleges and Universities.” U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and Wisconsin HOPE Lab.
Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Katharine Broton, and Emily Brunjes Colo. May 2016. “Why the Time is Right to Expand the National School Lunch Program to Higher Education.” Scholars Strategy Network Policy Brief.
Eisenberg, Daniel, Sara Goldrick-Rab, Sarah Ketchen Lipson, and Katharine Broton. March 2016. “Too Distressed to Learn? Mental Health among Community College Students.” Wisconsin HOPE Lab in partnership with Healthy Minds Study, the Association of Community College Trustees, and Single Stop.
- Media Coverage by The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Education, Style Magazine and CBS San Francisco.
Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Katharine Broton, and Daniel Eisenberg. November 2015. “Hungry to Learn: Addressing Food & Housing Insecurity Among Undergraduates.” Wisconsin HOPE Lab in partnership with Healthy Minds Study, the Association of Community College Trustees, and Single Stop.
- Media Coverage by Associated Press, PBS NewsHour, Marketwatch, Wisconsin Public Television, Inside Higher Education, The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, Education Writers Association, National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators, Boston Public Radio, Houston Chronicle, Long Beach Post, San Diego Tribune, UC Food Observer, Monadnock Ledger-Transcript, Cleveland.com, Generation Opportunity, Diverse Education, Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education Magazine, Monarch Housing Associates, Next City, Examiner, Wisconsin State Journal, Capital Times, NBC 15 Madison, Fox11 Green Bay, Door County Daily News, and The Badger Herald.
Broton, Katharine and Sara Goldrick-Rab. August 2015. “Hunger in Higher Education.” Public Testimony for the National Commission on Hunger.
- Media Coverage by The Capital Times, “UW’s HOPE Lab: Low-income College Students Need Free Lunch too.” 8/6/2015
Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Katharine Broton, and Victoria Frank. July 2014. “Single Stop USA’s Community College Initiative: Implementation Assessment.” Wisconsin HOPE Lab, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Broton, Katharine and Sara Goldrick-Rab. February 2014. “The Problem of College Students Without Reliable Housing.” Scholars Strategy Network Policy Brief.
Broton, Katharine and Sara Goldrick-Rab. October 2013. “Housing Instability among College Students.” Research Brief, Wisconsin Center for the Advancement of Postsecondary Education and the Center for Financial Security, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Katharine Broton, and Christin Gates. June 2013. “Clearing the Path to a Brighter Future: Addressing Barriers to Community College Access and Success.” White paper for the Association of Community College Trustees and Single Stop USA.