This page was last updated on September 1, 1999.
You can now spell-check your LaTeX documents from within Emacs with ISPELL v.3.1. Note: this is a special version that has been ported to work with Windows by Gerd Boehm. Neither of us is responsible for performance problems. I have had really good luck with it, however!
In accordance with the spirit of the GNU license, I have done some pre-setting up and have re-packaged the U.S. English version of the software to make it easier to work with. The steps below are just a suggestion and examples of how to set up ISPELL. The original version (with many languages other than U.S. English) may be found at: isp31b2.zip, and more information can be found at the ISPELL home page.
When you are done installing, you should be able to spell-check your document from within Emacs from the menu Edit->Spell->Check Buffer
1) Download the file ispell.zip
2) Unzip the file with WinZip into c:\ your root directory. It should create the directory c:\ispell and place the files in there.
3) Download the file ispell.el into your c:\emacs\site-lisp directory.
4) Edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT file to add the path c:\ispell\bin . You can simply add the line:
to your existing AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
5) The following instructions are from Piet Tutelaers' readme file, with minor changes. Windows 95\98 users have to add the following line to their CONFIG.SYS:
And Win/NT users need the following line in their CONFIG.NT (or CONFIG.SYS):
6) Do one of the following:
a) If you are using the _emacs file from this web site's Emacs installation section, you may simply replace that file with this one: _emacs
b) Add the following lines to your c:\emacs\_emacs file before the last section where tex-site is loaded:
;; use ISPELL on PC 3.1.20 (autoload 'ispell-word "ispell" "Check the spelling of word in buffer." t) (global-set-key "\e$" 'ispell-word) (autoload 'ispell-region "ispell" "Check the spelling of region." t) (autoload 'ispell-buffer "ispell" "Check the spelling of buffer." t) (autoload 'ispell-complete-word "ispell" "Look up current word in dictionary and try to complete it." t) (autoload 'ispell-change-dictionary "ispell" "Change ispell dictionary." t) (autoload 'ispell-message "ispell" "Check spelling of mail message or news post.") ;still necessary (setenv "TEMP" "c:/windows/temp") (setenv "TMP" "c:/windows/temp") ; helpful (setq text-mode-hook '(lambda () (local-set-key "\M-\t" 'ispell-complete-word))) (setq tex-mode-hook '(lambda () (local-set-key "\M-\t" 'ispell-complete-word))) (setq latex-mode-hook '(lambda () (local-set-key "\M-\t" 'ispell-complete-word))) ; enable tex parser, also very helpful (setq ispell-enable-tex-parser t)
8) Spell-check from within Emacs by choosing Edit -> Spell from the menu bar.