Conway-Bascom Professor of Sociology
2432 Social Science Building
Madison, WI 53706-1393
Phone: (608) 262-4357
FAX: (608) 262-8400
Fall Semester Courses:
Spring Semester Courses:
- Brenner, Philip and DeLamater, John. Measurement
directiveness as a cause of response bias: Evidence from two survey
experiments. Sociological Methods
and Research, 2016, 45: 348-371.
Published online November 24, 2014, DOI: 10.1177/0049124114558630. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John and Koepsel, Erica. Relationships and
sexual expression in later life: a biopsychosocial perspective. Sexual and Relationship Therapy. DOI:
- Brenner, Philip and DeLamater, John. Paradata correlates of
data quality in an SMS time use study – Evidence from a validation
study. electronic International
Journal of Time Use Research, 2013, 10, 38-54.
- Brenner, Philip and DeLamater, John. Social
Desirability Bias in Self-Reports of Physical Activity: Is an
Exercise Identity the Culprit? Social
Research, 2014: 489-504. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11205-013-0359-y
- Karraker, Amelia and DeLamater, John. Past-year sexual inactivity
among older married persons and their partners. Journal of Marriage and Family,
2013, 75:142-163. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John. Sexual expression in later life: A review
and synthesis. Journal of Sex
Research, 2012, 49:125-141. (pdf)
- Karraker, Amelia, DeLamater, John, and Schwartz, Christine.
Sexual frequency decline from midlife to later
life. Journals of Gerontology
Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 2011; doi:
- Frank, Katherine and John DeLamater. Deconstructing
monogamy: Boundaries, identities, and fluidities across relationships. In Meg Barker and Darren Langdridge (Eds.), Understanding Non-Monogamies. New York: Routledge,
2010, 9-22. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Amelia Karraker. Sexual functioning in older
adults. Current Psychiatry
Reports, 2009, 11:6-11. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, Janet Hyde, and Mei-Chia
satisfaction in the seventh decade of life. Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy,
2008, 34: 439-454. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Sara Moorman. Sexual behavior in later
life. Journal of Aging and
Health, 2007, 19, 921-945. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Sara Moorman. Sexuality and
aging. In Encyclopedia
of Health and Aging,
Markides (Ed.), Sage Publications. 2007.
- DeLamater, John. Gender equity in formal sexuality
education. In Handbook
Gender Equity through Education, 2e, Sue Klein, et al. (Eds.),
Erlbaum. 2007. 411-420. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Michelle Hasday. The sociology of
sexuality. In 21st
Sociology: A Reference Handbook, Vol. 1. Clifton Bryant and
Dennis L. Peck (Eds.), Sage
Publications. 2007. (pdf)
- Else-Quest, Nicole, Janet Hyde and John DeLamater.
Context counts: First sexual experiences and later sexual
dysfunction. Journal of Sex
Research, 2005, 42: 102-112. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Morgan Sill. Sexual desire in later
life. Journal of Sex Research,
2005, 42: 138-149. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Janet Hyde. Conceptual and theoretical
issues in studying sexuality in close
relationships. In John Harvey, Amy Wenzel, and Susan Sprecher,
(Eds.), The Handbook of
in Close Relationships, Hillsdale, NJ:
Erlbaum, 2004, 7-30. (pdf)
- DeLamater, John, and Janet Hyde. Sexuality. In
Encyclopedia of Marriage and the Family, 2e, Vol.
III. New York, NY: MacMillan Publishing Company, 1456-1462.
- Normal Sexual Development in Childhood and Adolescence. In
John Bancroft (Ed.), Sexual
Development in Childhood. Bloomington, IN:
Indiana University Press, 2003, 186-191.
- Wade, Lisa, and John DeLamater. Relationship Dissolution as
a Life Stage Transition: Effects on Sexual Attitudes and
Behavior. Journal of Marriage and Family, 2002, 64:
- DeLamater, John, and Robert Friedrich. "Human Sexual
Development." Journal of Sex Research, 2002, 39:
- Hyde, Janet, John DeLamater, and Amanda Durik, ""Sexuality and
the Dual-Earner Couple, Part II: Beyond the Baby Years." Journal
of Sex Research, 2001, 38: 10-23.
- Algoe, Sara, Brenda Buswell, and John DeLamater, "Gender and Job
Status as Contextual Cues for the Interpretation of Facial
Expression of Emotion." Sex Roles, 2000, 42: 183-208.
- DeLamater, John., and Rebecca Plante (Eds). 2015.
the Sociology of Sexualities. Dordrecht, NL: Springer.(link)
- DeLamater, John, Daniel Myers, and Jessica Collett. 2014.
Social Psychology (8th ed). Boulder, CO: Westview Press. (link)
- Hyde, Janet S., and John DeLamater.
Human Sexuality (12th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill. (link)
- DeLamater, John., and Amanda Ward (Eds). 2013.
Psychology, 2e. New York: Springer.(link)
- Carpenter, Laura, and John DeLamater (Eds). (2012).
Sex for Life:
From Virginity to Viagra, How Sexuality Changes throughout our Lives.
New York: New York
University Press. (link)
- Series Editor, Handbooks of Sociology and Social Research,
Springer Publishing, 2014 - present. (link)
- Named Conway-Bascom Professor of Sociology, 2010.
Service to the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Award,
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Chancellor=s
Distinguished Teaching Award, 2002.
Alfred E. Kinsey Award for Distinguished Contributions to the field of
research, Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, 2002.
Fellow, Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, 1993. There are 75 fellows, of a total membership
In my spare time:
I am the apprentice streetcar maintenance person in Kenosha.
WI. I maintain PCC streetcars built in 1948 and 1951 in operating
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority PCC streetcar
2185 operating in Kenosha WI. Built by St. Louis Car Co., 1948.
Toronto Transportation Commisssion PCC streetcar 4617 operating
in Kenosha, WI. Built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1951.